Tuesday 23 July 2019

Book review: The Time For Murder is Meow by T. C. LoTempio


The Time for Murder is Meow (A Purr N Bark Pet Shop Mystery Book 1) by [LoTempio, T. C.]TC LoTempio’s The Time For Murder is Meow belongs firmly (or should that be furmly?) in what I’m beginning to recognise as a popular subgenre in crime — the cosy small-town murder mystery with cats. Who knew something like that would take off? But it has — and yes, though I think you can have too much of a good thing, I read it and will continue to do so. 

The Time For Murder is Meow is the first in a series in which actress Shell McMillan takes over her aunt’s pet shop after losing her role in a major TV series. Arriving in small-town New England, Shell finds herself at the centre of a lot of small-town small-mindedness, and it all ends in murder. 

I enjoyed this book, but only up to a point. It galloped along at a cracking pace (possibly too quickly to be realistic, but I don’t imagine that really matters). I did have some problems with it. I found the whole premise of the plot, which was based around the local museum’s decision not to display Shell’s aunt’s collection of theatre and cinema posters, very slender, and when further secrets were dug up they didn’t really provide a convincing motive for murder either. 

When I think about that I wonder if it’s because the characters didn’t quite convince me. Other than Shell and her partner-in-crime (and former costar) Gary, they really weren’t very well developed and the potential bad guys tended to merge into one another. The effect of that was that I didn’t really engage with much of the plot and the whole murder side of it felt like much ado about nothing. And, dare I say it, the cats weren’t particularly appealing characters either. (Sorry!) 

I did find Shell’s attraction to (and flirtation with) the handsome detective Josh to be a little different and, the local colour was greatly entertaining. The problem, I think, is that I found this subgenre has been so much better done by others (specifically Lilian Jackson Braun).

Nevertheless it was a pacy and an entertaining read, and anyone who enjoyed Braun’s The Cat Who… series will probably enjoy this one, too. 

Thanks to Netgalley and Midnight Ink for a copy of this book in return for an honest review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment