Sunday 17 May 2020

Book Review: The Organic Book of Compost by Pauline Pears

As a recent convert to gardening, and someone confronting the task of composting with a degree of awe, I found Pauline Pears’s The Organic Book of Compost a very useful introduction.

The version I read was an advance copy and so the formatting wasn’t perfect. I can’t, therefore, criticise the graphics and flow charts on such things as what you can compost or what kind of compost heap you should have, but nor can I praise them for their usefulness as the were impossible to follow. But I will say that as far as I could tell they looked as if they might be very handy.

That apart, I felt the book was good at demystifying the composting process. (I now know what rookie mistakes I’ve made and how to put them right.) I felt that some of the introductory material wasn’t really necessary — for example, there was a longish section extolling the virtues of organic gardening, most of which is common sense if not common knowledge.

Overall a good and useful guide, clearly written and easy to understand.  

Thanks to Netgalley and Fox Chapel Publishing for an advance copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment