Sunday 10 May 2020

Book Review: The Body in the Garden by Katherine Schellman

The Body in the Garden by Katharine SchellmanI’m a sucker for a good old historical mystery, and Katherine Schellman’s The Body in the Garden didn’t disappoint. It’s a Regency mystery, set among the upper classes in London with, of course, the obligatory descent into the rougher parts of society along the way. Rich, attractive young widow lily Adler stumbles upon a body during a high society ball and there’s a mystery to solve.

I really enjoyed this book, although it took me a while to get into it. Once i` got going, though, it was a good read. I loved the character of Lily and her determination to maintain her independence, and I also loved her friend and would-be-beau Jack. The banter between them was clever and amusing and I definitely felt theirs is a relationship that has a long way to run. 

The plot was fast moving and complicated. Sometimes I got lost a bit but I suspect that was down to reading too late at night — something which is a compliment to the author in its own way! I loved the historical detail and the picture Schellman draws of Regency London and I also liked the way the story included a degree of moral ambiguity and a real dilemma for lily as she suspects her best friend’s husband, a magistrate, may be involved either in the murder itself or in covering it up. 

Thanks to Netgalley and Crooked Lane Books for an advance copy in return for an honest review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment